Year Five & Year Six
Welcome to the Year 5 and 6 class page.
Meet the team: Mrs Abbott, Mr Herring, Mrs Rickard and Mr Harrison are our wonderful class teachers.
Mrs Robinson, Miss Rick and Mrs Robinson are our delightful teaching assistants.
On this page, you will find useful information, updates and important events. You will also be able to see what we have been doing in class.
Drop off & Collection – Start time is 8.40am on the school playground. Collection time is 3.30pm from the school field/walk to the gate (you have completed the ‘Going Home’ letter).
PE: The PE day Mr Harrison and Mrs Rickard/Mr Herring's classes is Tuesday. Mrs Abbott's class have PE on a Friday. All classes currently have an extra PE session of Kasa Combat on a Monday.PE kits need to be in school everyday and will be sent home on a Friday. Please ensure that children have the correct kit for indoor and outdoor sessions. We have some fantastic sessions planned for PE this year.
Spellings & Homework: Spellings and homework will be sent home on Monday and due in for the following Monday. These will be paper copies. The children will be given their spellings every Monday, and they will be tested on these on the following Monday. The spelling rule for each week will also be taught in the classroom alongside practicing and consolidating them at home.
Autumn Term: Our History topic for this term is 'The Ancient Greeks'
Throughout this topic, the children will be learning about:
- When and where was this civilization formed?
- Invention and progression of democracy through the years.
- Foundation of the Olympics; comparing ancient Olympic games to modern Olympic games.
- Exploration of Greek mythology, Gods and Goddesses.
- Studying significant places and architecture of Ancient Greek civilization
You can help your child progress by:
- Provide an opportunity for your children to read as much as possible.
- Encouraging your children to find out about life in Ancient Greek and how this compares to our daily life now.
- Visit the local library to borrow books.